|Get Involved | Connections | Events | Join | Local Resources | Contact|
Hello from Slow Food Santa Cruz !
As the year Slowly winds down, we want to thank you for your support of Slow Food Santa Cruz this year! Today Slow Food has over 100,000 members in 150 countries around the world. Whether you joined us at an event, donated your food, time, and expertise, or simply added us to your Facebook page, this movement grows every day because of your enthusiasm and commitment to a better food system.
2010 marked a milestone in Slow Food Santa Cruz’s history. Not only did we host a series of events and meet-ups, we forged new relationships in the community and established a formal Chapter Board. Your Chapter Board guides the activities of the Santa Cruz chapter and links the international movement with local grassroots action.
It’s time to elect a new Board! We are thrilled to keep up the momentum and hear from new voices in our community in 2011. That means you!
Chapter Board Elections will be held at our Annual Membership Meeting in January (details on the Annual Meeting to come!). This meeting will be a chance for you to give your new Chapter Board feedback as well as enjoy the conviviality and fabulous food that make this organization unique. Plan to join us at the table, and bring friends from all parts of our county (and beyond).
If you are interested in running for a Chapter Board position, read the application guidelines below carefully and respond by Friday, December 17.
We’ll also have plenty of other ways to get involved in the coming year:
- Keep your membership current (the $25 basic membership fee has been extended through the end of the year – sign up now!
- Join a committee – sign-up at the Annual Membership Meeting
- Start a local Slow Food project
- Attend an SFSC event and search for other chapters when you travel
- Read our website and check out our Facebook page
- Tell your friends – forward this email to three people!
Slow Food Santa Cruz Chapter Board Application
Thank you for your interest in serving on the Chapter Board of Slow Food Santa Cruz!
The deadline for applications is Friday, December 17, 2010. Email your application or any elections questions to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Slow Food Santa Cruz is chapter of Slow Food USA. We are a non-profit organization supported primarily by membership fees and event revenue.
Slow Food USA Mission
Slow Food USA seeks to create dramatic and lasting change in the food system. We reconnect Americans with the people, traditions, plants, animals, fertile soils, and waters that produce our food. We seek to inspire a transformation in food policy, production practices, and market forces so that they ensure equity, sustainability and pleasure in the food we eat.
Slow Food Santa Cruz Chapter Mission Statement
Slow Food Santa Cruz is a chapter of Slow Food USA. Our chapter strives to bring Slow Food’s mission to life in Santa Cruz County. We value accessibility and relevance to our entire community, and we encourage conscientious consumption and sustainable innovation in our food system.
Board members are elected for one year terms, and can serve up to eight consecutive years on the Board. There are eight positions on the SFSC Chapter Board:
- Board Chair
- Vice Chair
- Membership Chair
- Events Chair
- Partnerships Chair
- Communications Chair
Detailed descriptions of these positions and their duties are available on our website. If you run for election, you should:
- Be a current paid member of Slow Food USA (the Board Chair should also have served previously on the Chapter Board or a Committee)
- Plan to work on Slow Food a minimum of 2-3 hours/week on average
- Consistently attend monthly board meetings
- Serve actively on a committee (events, specific projects, etc.)
- Be familiar with the goals and projects of Slow Food USA and Slow Food International
Please email the following information to email@example.com by Friday, December 17. Your name and answers to questions 4-6 may be circulated to our members as part of the election. Please answer concisely.
- Are you currently a member of Slow Food Santa Cruz? (Yes/No) If you are not currently a member, will you become a member by January 1, 2011?
- Desired Chapter Board Position:
- Why are you interested in serving on the Chapter Board of SFSC?
- What is your top priority for SFSC in 2011?
- What can you bring to the SFSC Chapter Board?
Thank you for your interest! We will email all candidates after the application deadline. If you have any questions, please feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Our thanks go out to all of you who came, enjoyed and supported our first workshop event for Dia de Los Muertos. Special thanks go out to Betsy McNair of My Mexico Tours, Caffe Tazzina and Donna Gardner for making the event happen. Families and friends came together on Sunday, October 17 to celebrate Dia de los Muertos, workshop style. Betsy demonstrated how an ofrenda is put together, and gave us context and history for Dia celebrations. Caffe Tazzina provided Mexican hot chocolate and sourced Pan de Muerto from Gama Bakery in Watsonville. Donna Gardner handmade the perfect sugar skulls for each participant to decorate. Plus Betsy led papel picado (cut paper) lessons. Paper was being cut and skulls were being decorated until the very end. We had a great time! Check our website for a delicious and simple Calabaza en Tacha recipe.
- The SFSC Board has ratified our new bylaws and have posted them to the SFSC website
- Have you seen our updates on the Slow Food Santa Cruz Facebook page? See what others are saying and join the conversation!
- December 17, 2010: Slow Food Santa Cruz board nominations closed and candidates posted to the website
- January 15, 2011: Slow Food Santa Cruz Annual Meeting and Election
Time and Location: To Be Announced
- February 3, 2011: Slow Food Santa Cruz Board MeetingWhen: First Thursday of each month, 6:30pmWhere:
Slow Food Santa Cruz is a registered chapter of Slow Food USA, a non-profit 501 3(c) organization that aims to link the pleasure of food with a commitment to community and the environment.